It’s always important in this field to know what issues and elected positions are at issue in any given election year.
This year, there are several proposed amendments to the New York State Constitution. You can learn about them here: http://www.elections.ny.gov/ProposedConsAmendments.html. These proposed amendments would, if enacted by the people of New York, allow for:
- Legalized gambling in New York State and the establishment of up to seven casinos
- Veterans with combat-related disabilities to be granted extra points in their application for civil service job promotions
- Municipalities to continue exceeding their debt limits for sewage facilities
- The resolution of a land dispute and a land exchange in the Adirondack forest preserve
- The mandatory retirement age of all state judges to be raised to 80 years old
For information about registering to vote in New York State, visit: http://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html. A mailed application must be postmarked no later than October 11th (just three days away) in order to register to vote in this year’s general election.
In the meantime, keep calm and read on.